Saturday 12 November 2011

first batch out of the kiln

I do apologise, as it has taken me a little while to upload these images!

I am very pleased with the way that these spools have turned out - the colours are lovely, and I was able to get the matt glaze on the end of the spools just about spot on :)

I used some 'vintage' Mayco underglazes, as they were nice pastel shades, and also had a gentleness about the colours as well - not ghastly opaque as some can be. But being a little on the older side, it's suggested on the label that the firing temp is only ~1040 degrees, and here I am putting them on porcelain and firing to 1260 degrees! Because they have been fired a bit higher than they would have preferred, the pale blue and the lavender (which you cannot tell is lavender as it has gone quite blue!) have developed quite a gloss. The peach and the pink have retained their nice matt-ness though.

I feel that the spools need a bit of a yellow and a geen, so I have popped some tests in the kiln of a trial 'vintage' yellow underglaze, as well as my attempt to make a pastel green underglaze. For that I mixed dark green and white underglazes together, as well as mixing some green body stain into white underglaze. Im actually quite looking forward to seeing how that have turned out!

No comments: